Monday, December 16, 2013

Congrats WieKings for being Promoted to the Buckeye Elite 1 Division! The Teams Future...

Parents/Girls,

Congrats to the girls on being PROMOTED to Buckey's Elite 1 Division!  Just to think a few years ago we were stuggling in CUSL's 3rd division.  Congrats girls on your hard hard hard work, and you too Parents for your dedication and support.  A team full of "crazy soccer parents" would never have allowed for this to happen--So again, I thank you parents.

Just looking at the teams we will be playing in this division, I can tell you it's going to be very tough.  If you remember the difference of CUSL 2 to CUSL 1 when we initially made that jump...  It was a very rough first season.  The teams in this Buckeye Elite 1 division are the top teams at each of their respective Clubs.

I am sincerely confident they will compete once again.

Ok, with this said, we as a team, are in a very odd situation and need to at least put some things on the table to think about.  Here is why...

1. For us to compete at this level, we almost need to make our winter training mandatory (as do all of the clubs for their top teams).  At the u14 level, a clubs top team is almost made up entirely of "soccer first" or "soccer only" players.  Now, I am not going to ask that.  At least not "soccer only".  Possibly after the spring season is completed, we may need to have a parent/player team meeting and find out how many are willing to be at least "soccer first".

2. I would like to train two days a week beginning January 1st--we should do three, as most u14 MRL teams practice in the winter, but 2 will suffice.  After seeing what three days a week has done for Morgan, Sheena, and Taylor (and now Jenna), I know that I need to provide at least two days a week for our team this winter (Jan-March).  If one was to come watch an S4 session, those 4 would stand out right now as the top 4, with Morgan probably leading the pack.  This is from a Coach who just two years ago told Morgan's Dad after tryouts "I will keep her, but due to her lack of skill, I can't guarantee a ton of playing time...".  So please, do your absolute best to get the girls to our winter training sessions!

3.  Because we are a team made up of girls in multiple activities, I know there will always be issues.  I know for example that high school basketball and dance are mandatory, and during the bball season, they will always trump soccer training.  I understand that and that is fine.  Please, just keep in mind that if your daughter can make it to our training sessions before OR after their bball practice or bball game, that I really would like you to try and make it happen.  I SINCERELY want 17 girls on our team to be the top 17 soccer players in NKY soccer by the time they are Sophomores.  That is the training that we are providing now for them--it can happen.  For those girls that were at our first winter S4 training, I am sure they will tell you how different the training was. We focused on only a couple moves the entire hour instead of 10 moves like in the past.  We demanded they use them at game speed.  We also broke down when to use each move based on situation.  We won't move on to new moves until they can perform the first two at game speed in their sleep!  HERE IS MY POINT--- I don't want to have weaker players holding back those that are fully committed because they missed training, and that WILL happen if they miss.  I truly believe (I KNOW, ACTUALLY), that each training they get is probably 5x the effectiveness of our typical winter training session last year.  I can see this as a time where a big gap can occur from those coming to the trainings and those not.  Hannah last week played almost entire indoor game (and I never have seen her have to work so hard), then went to her basketball game, and then came back for our S4 training.  She seemed like she had tons of energy at our S4 training too.  She is in incredible shape--the shape a full team at the ELITE 1 level should be in.  As long as the girls get the right foods and stay hydrated, and proper rest at night, they will be fine (old bodybuilding saying-- "there is no such thing as over training; just under eating and under sleeping"!).

4. This is the last one---After Buckeye ELITE 1, the next thing is Buckeye STATE or MRL (midwest regional league).  I have a feeling we will be at one of those two within a year. When that happens, it will require "soccer first girls".  MRL play games year round and require a lot of travel throughout the Midwest.  HEAR ME on this--I don't want to get to this level just for some coaching glory... There just isn't anything else left after this!  We conquered CUSL and had to leave that league to stay competitive.  If we do the same in this ELITE 1 Division, which we will in a season or two, then we will have conquered Ohio's top league.  So, after that, it would need to be the regional league (MRL) and then the National League after that (I am serious!).  I want 17 girls to get College Soccer scholarships.  I really want to do my best to provide that opportunity for each girl.  I am not saying at all that we would have to be in the Buckeye STATE division or MRL for that to happen, but it would give the girls a ton more exposure!  So, with that said, those divisions require a MINIMUM of 3 weekly practices, along with TONS of games.

Parents/Girls, I am ONLY writing this so you can think about this for the spring season, so when we do meet and discuss, you have thought about it.  Coach Eric and Coach Jenkins have brought this up, and have said that I might want to meet with parents now to set expectations and map out possibilities.  In conversation with them, I said we would not cut anyone as long as they show up and work hard (and they agreed)--but, I just need you to think about the commitment level we expect, especially after this spring.  We have a few girls from other clubs and teams who are taking S4 (yes, I sort of have an academy I could choose players from now).  And these girls are very talented and would be incredible additions to our team who are "soccer first" kids.   I have told them "no room at the Inn" (thanks for allowing me the use of the Holiday Pun), but I also told them that the way our team is advancing, we may have some girls that might end up leaving due to the commitment level needed to play at the ELITE 1 division and higher.  I hope that isn't the case (Our girls are special and I don't want to lose any), but please just keep it in mind if you see the commitment to other activities as being way to great for your daughter to be a fit for this team.

Good night, and once again CONGRATS GIRLS!!!!  Now it's time set our goals to be the best 17 girls in the State!  Seriously, I want you each to be the "stud" at your high school--demand that from yourself :) !

Brian




No comments:

Post a Comment